Gummy Counter

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gran Turismo

If I'm thinking back in the day then this is one game that really encouraged me to like cars!


Gran Turismo was one the first racing games that I took seriously, but no one took it more seriously than my father...


There were times that I would come home from working a late shift, and see my dad on the PlayStation dozing off in game with a rum and coke on the side table! "Don't drink and drive, " I would casually joke as I poked the grizzling bear awake. He would suddenly jolt with a loud snoring gruff, dazed and confused and then mumbling, "What? I wasn't sleeping!".

Even though times have changed and those days of walking in on dad sleeping on another long race, I will always remember the Gran Turismo game series fondly. Nothing gave me great pleasure than finishing an extremely hard and yet exhilarating race with one fast and cool looking car! Dad would always say that it was as close to the real thing as he was going to get, and it also felt nice to share a game with him. Even if I didn't understand the workings of a car then, and even now, my knowledge is still limited. I still appreciate the game and I definitely have a higher appreciation for the racing mechanisms that was portrayed in the game itself.

I know that I will probably never be a professional race car driver but at least I got the opportunity to have a feeling of what it must be like even if it was in the digital world. Each day we live our lives and wonder what it would have been like if we had walked down a certain path, or made a different decision.

What if I actually followed my dreams to become a film maker? What if I stopped everything, took what ever little money I had and just explored the world in all of its beauty?


In video games, I have only seen beauty through a pixelated world with hard edges that I can't even touch. But, it doesn't mean that I will never be able to experience the world. I am still young after all. We all are at heart.

If you have a dream, go for it. If it doesn't work out, don't give up. If you are at your wits end, then stop, breathe, and try again. Sometimes we just need a wake up call or a step back to see the bigger picture of our lives. The only real enemy in our lives is ourselves.

Racing in a game with my dad was just the beginning of my dreams. Dreams are the root of who we aspire to be, and for me, I dreamed of one day driving my very own Dodge Viper, or Lamborghini, even if it was just to be in the very presence of them, then I have found a brief bit of happiness! VROOooom! 

Having said all of that, it sure is tempting to play a little Gran Turismo just for memories sake! That's it that's at least for now, Gran Turismo is Gummy Approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *