Gummy Counter

Monday, May 12, 2014

Parasite Eve

One of my most favorite games from my teenage years was Parasite Eve...


It was my second RPG ever!


When you first plop the game into the Playstation console it begins by playing a trailer of the game with a song that I came to love. There were times I would just let the video play over and over again just to hear it! The overall genre of the game is supposed to be horror, however, I never felt like I was scared out of wits until the very end! Even then, it was more of a thrill than anything.

The story of the game is based on the premise of how mitochondria came to invade our cells and never left. It later becomes apparent that the mitochondria has an agenda to create a special being. Of course, our heroine (Aya Brea, a NYPD detective with special abilities of her, due to the awakening of the mitochondria within her cells) is against the idea and seeks to destroy it.

When I played this game, I enjoyed seeing how these tiny little power houses within our bodies took control of their environment and created mutated creatures, such as, overgrown rats with their skin ripped. The overall game flow is steady and I was eager to finish the game. 

Every game has it's cons and Parasite Eve isn't free of them. One thing that bothered me the most was the leveling up system. Whenever I leveled up, the experience would count down until it was entirely added to the character. Doesn't sound too bad for the first part of the game when all of the monsters were of fairly low level, but when you came across a boss....that's where I remember losing hours waiting for the counter to reach zero. If only it could be skipped! Other than that, there weren't any real major flaws...the character would look like she was moon walking all of the time, but it was mostly comical than a deal breaker!

Parasite Eve will always hold a tender place in my gaming heart. It was one game that inspired me to write stories of my own. So, all in all, Parasite Eve is Gummy Approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *